Could Hearing Loss be Linked with Dementia?

July 7, 2021

Have you seen the research connecting hearing loss with reduced cognition and dementia?

Studies have shown that even with minimal or early-stage hearing loss, there are changes in cognition and brain activity.

Even when the decrease in hearing ability is minimal, the brain begins to re-organize itself, resulting in changes in both speech processing and cognitive ability.

This is not great news, but in a way it is good to know, because we know that we can correct hearing loss pretty easily.

Though hearing loss is not usually reversible, it does develop slowly, and if we halt it and correct it, we can counteract the damage done to cognitive function and prevent or reverse this decline.

The first step is to know you have a problem, so regular hearing screenings are crucial! It’s important to diagnose hearing loss before you notice it so you can prevent further loss and these secondary concerns.

Once you know that hearing loss is an issue for you, your audiologist or doctor can work out a plan to help you correct it to prevent cognitive decline and other issues.

We can help you come up with a plan, which may include hearing aids. Hearing aids can help to restore your hearing to its normal levels and let you live your life independently, just the way you want to.

These studies have shown that once proper hearing aid use was established, the brain re-organized itself to healthy function and the decline was reversed. It’s not too late!

This is great news! You can remedy hearing loss and address the primary risk factor for dementia.

What if it’s genetic?

Alzheimer’s is estimated to be about 60% correlated with genetics, which means you have control of the other 40%. That’s almost half—and that is huge! You can take control of this issue, and the earlier you do it the better.

Hearing loss accounts for approximately 37% of all the things you can control to lessen your probability of cognitive decline. Take control of your health and your future today by booking a hearing evaluation.

Remember that the first step to halting hearing loss and preventing further damage is to recognize your situation. Come in today for a hearing screening and formulate a strategy to train your brain to listen actively and effectively.

Diablo Hearing Services   2301 Camino Ramon, STE 106   San Ramon (925) 394-4646

read more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *